Thursday 6 February 2014


HAYMARKET PLACE
212 Berkerley St, Carlton

Visited: 15th January 2014

Design: The hidden second door. I haven't had that before. Classic Melbourne, up a laneway where you enter through a newly built cafe door that sits behind the original roller door. What do I do here? I will just have to go with the visual door. I like the idea of the newly built purpose door and the original roller is a second wall of security. Nothing really stood out with this one. It was your classic shop front aluminium black framed structure. There were two features that I thought were interesting touches. The first being the stainless steel square tubing on the handles. Not always pleasant on the hand to grip however, instead of just your usual corner weld, each corner join of the handle recessed back on a 5-7 degree angle. The second feature was the black and gold thin pin stripe that runs horizontal across the glass. Subtle, but lifts the mundane to another designer level. I really wasn't expecting that touch and discovered it by accident. I like it when you come across those unexpected surprises. Once again the sage green of the floor works with the black.    

Door resistance: 2
Closure mechanism: Hydraulic arm
Draft: Minimal
Squeak level: 0

Change return time: 1.13 sec



No comments:

Post a Comment