Monday 27 January 2014


BARRY
85 High St, Northcote

Visited: 10th January 2014

Design: It's amazing what a well crafted door can do to a rather boring and ugly red brick wall. The sage green door at Barry is a streamline, elegant and beautiful piece of craftsmanship. The steel powder coated beams that make up the door frame, set this door into the structure of the building. Here you have the delicate framework of the door surrounded by the heavy brickwork. It looks structurally impossible as though the brickwork would crush the door at any moment. Maybe this is where the beauty lies, in the illusion of the impossible. Aesthetically, you can not fault it. Many would disagree with me in the colour and two years ago I would have agreed but something has changed in me and sage green is speaking with me now. The gold L-shaped tubing handle with matching lock chamber compliment the green. The workmanship is impeccable with clean welding and glazing. I love the rectangular glass panels that make the door and window seem larger than what they really are. They also provide a generous view into the building upon arrival. The door had a decent weight to it that felt good on the push, the closure was a slow gentle return however a slight bang at the end. To complete the experience it would have been nice to have a subtle click on the close, I'm just being now picky now though. Empty glass panels with no good food guide stickers cluttering up the view, just a pure entry. Not even name or trading hours in view. I did enter quickly so I'm not sure if there was another main door, (I will have to return and check this) but if this is it, I loved it.

UPDATE: 9th April 2014
I have just returned to Barry and to correct my lack of observation on first entry, there was a name and trading hours on the middle window next to the handle but beautifully designed, great font and discreet. How could I ever doubt them? Points again guys for allowing the door to be, THE DOOR.

Door resistance: 3
Closure mechanism: Hidden Hydraulic arm
Draft: Minimal
Squeak level: 0

Change return time: 49 sec




No comments:

Post a Comment