Tuesday 1 October 2013


ST EDMONDS
Rear 154 Greville St, Prahran

Visited: 12th September 2013

Design: A simple black steel framed door with a u-tube stainless steel lever handle, that was nice on the hand. Slight resistance on the open with this one, not uncomfortable though. The closure was guided by a hidden hydraulic system that I found delightful. The return was a medium pace, fast enough to keep a wintery breeze out and a slight bang at the end on the final close. I could say a little too loud to be comfortable however, the thing I found unique about this door is that it was deceiving. It looks like your average cafe door, it opens like any other cafe door, but yet the bang at the end of the closure replicated the sound of wooden bank door in a country town. How can this be? I listened intently every time someone left the building. Bang!! again, Bang!! again. I was instantly taken back to my childhood in the old Westpac of my home town. When I began reviewing doors, I never once thought the sound of a door could invoke such memories or even mimic the sound of another door. 

The distressed brick and sleepy birds graffiti, work well with the black hard edge of the door frame. I kind of like the random cross bar in the lower half of the window to break up the symmetry. The reflection on the glass is enough to keep a sense of mystery on the interior from the outside. Not too much is revealed upon arrival. The simple lines and the minimal spearmint green title and opening hours allow this door to almost vanish or even camouflage itself amongst the endless textures that surround it. I like the slight worn patch on the bottom left, which I hope is from years of foot traffic rubbing against it upon entering.

Factual history: The town of Saint Edmond in the centre east of France is 
10.38km2

The nearby cities and towns of Saint Edmonds are: 

Saint-Martin-de-lixy at 2.35km
Saint-Maurice-les-Chateauneuf at 3.24km

154 Same as the address. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Door resistance: 2.5
Closure mechanism: Hidden hydraulic system
Draft: Minimal
Squeak level: 0

Change return time: 33 sec




No comments:

Post a Comment