Wednesday 4 June 2014


JIMMY'S BAR
82 Vincent St, Daylesford

Visited: 6th May 2014

Design: Ok, now this isn't normal practice for me, to review a door I haven't eaten behind but this was one exception. On a little mid-week winter getaway to the picturesque town of Daylesford with the little lady, I came across this magnificent door handle of Jimmy's Bar. At the time the bar was closed so we didn't have the chance to experience the full eccentric qualities of this door. I must admit I was about to walk away from this but my judgement got the better of me and I could not possibly let this one go unnoticed. The door itself was nothing amazing just a glass panel on a pivot hinge. Yet the combination of the clean glass with the cast forearms with hands lifted it to another level of unique. I have never seen another door handle like it in my life. I am unsure of the significance of the hand gestures in relation to the bar itself. If we were to reference the hand Mudras of Hinduism and Buddhism the first gesture on the left door of the open palm would be known as the ABHAYA MUDRA, (the energy of No Fear) or PATAKA, (flag) in Indian Dance and the second gesture on the right door, (2nd photo detail) would be the GYAN MUDRA (Mudra of knowledge) which is meant to increase memory power and sharpen the brain, also known as the VITARKA MUDRA. Two very powerful symbols for an entrance. The thing I like about these handles is the worn polished surface of the handle on the right from thousands of hands pushing on the arm bringing a beautiful golden quality of the bronze to the surface. This reminds me of the Fontana Del Porcellino, (piglet fountain) the bronze fountain boar I came across in my travels in the bustling market of Mercato Nuovo in Florence. It is believed that if you place a coin in the mouth of the boar and the coin falls into the water you then rub the nose of the boar, you will one day return to Florence. Maybe this is the idea of the owners that by pushing on the forearm upon entering you will return to Jimmy's Bar or you will come away with no fear and a better memory. 

Original!! 

Who knows, either way it makes you want to touch it and on this rainy day it caught my attention even though the place was closed I had to go back and touch it and take a photo. Well done Jimmy!      

Door resistance: ?
Closure mechanism: Pivot
Draft: ?
Squeak level: ?

Change return time: 0 sec









No comments:

Post a Comment