Wednesday 19 March 2014


EAST ELEVATION
351 Lygon St, Brunswick East

Visited: 11th February 2014

Design:  I have been lucky I have just had the chance to visit 3 amazing doors, this being the first, (others will follow in posts to come). I have driven past this door a number of times and it has caught my eye. I have always wondered what was behind it. Then this morning I decided to go to East Elevation not knowing where it was and discovered when I arrived this amazing door belonged to them. What can I say, this would have to be one of the most impressive entrances to a cafe, ever. With a massive slab of raw concrete forming the front wall and an impressive window opening onto the street, your eye is led to the beautiful natural stained timber, (could be black butt) that towers over and surrounds that incredible red wooden door. The combination of these three elements together is harmony to the eye. The grey, the browns and the red...........WOW! It almost feels like you are entering a modern version of the Amer Fort in Jaipur, India. There is something very medieval about the grandeur and overwhelming size of this door that blows me away. There is a harsh beauty to its simplicity and yet the red door has a rustic charm to it, like an old country farm house or an Armish barn. A dream to open and a manual close. All I can say is incredible, incredible, incredible.

Door resistance: 1.5
Closure mechanism: Manual
Draft: Minimal
Squeak level: 0

Change return time: 1.11 sec









2 comments:

  1. If you ever decide to branch out from eatery doors, to retail doors more generally, please consider reviewing Anton Gerner Furniture in Hawthorn East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me curious now. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete